A Dutch-style syrup waffle that acts like an Energy Gel, but tastes like breakfast. It’s the answer to what to eat in the morning before training.
I’ve always been a fan of the GU product line and was excited to sample the Stroopwafels. This brings me back to my days as a kid, when my mother used to make us waffles for breakfast. In my opinion, they are much better than the ones I had as a kid. GUs inspiration was by the 18th century Netherlands Stroopwafel. They are truly not your average waffle which includes amino acids, a blend of carbohydrates (simple and complex) and electrolytes. This combination holistic nutritional system is called GU nutritional matrix which is designed specifically for hydration, energy and post recovery. Probably the best thing about the waffles is that they are just plain tasty. There are four flavors to choose from which include caramel coffee salty caramel, salted chocolate and Wildberries (some of the waffles are gluten-free, with or without caffeine and are incredibly reasonably priced at around $24 for 16. The waffles themselves do not have any artificial flavors or ingredients. GU packed with natural flavor, carbohydrates, proteins and electrolytes to keep your body sustained during long rides, prevent muscle cramping and to improve recovery. With the multiple flavors to choose from, my favorite was the caramel coffee which has a little bit of a zip to start your morning ride or office mental mileage. GU’s Stroopwafel is an excellent pre workout, during and post snack to sustain energy, prevent cramping and will empower your day with a little cup of Java for a very reasonable price that contains nothing artificial sweeteners ingredients or flavors.
- Provides complex carbohydrates, amino acids and electrolytes
- Made with a layer of delicious syrup between two thin wafers
- Individually packaged to make it portable and easy to take on a ride or run
- Tastes great and easy to digest
- GU’s Nutrition Matrix – a holistic nutritional system designed to help you properly hydrate, energize, and recover
- Four flavors to choose from Caramel Coffee (has an added caffeine boost), Salty’s Caramel, Salted Chocolate (gluten free), and Wild Berries (gluten free with caffeine)